Thursday, October 14, 2004

Taxes and the Presidential debate

I could not watch the third presidential debate, I’ve had enough. Let’s vote already!

I tried to watch but I just can no longer stomach watching John Kerry. Every time he started speaking, my stomach would clench and I had to flip the channel. I tried flipping back when I guessed George W. was talking but I could not watch him either. Watching those two speak on how they are going to spend my tax dollars just tied me in knots. A book I’ve been reading sounded much more interesting so I turned off the TV and I found my book.

If you have never read this great document, take the time now and read http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Constitution.html. If you’ve read it before, read it again!

Tell me where in the Constitution does the President have the authority to spend money? Where does it give authority to anyone in government to take money from one group of people and give it to another?

The government does have the authority to tax me for national defense and to protect my nations borders. I don’t see anywhere in there the authority to tax me so that kids can have a government program for an after school program because both parents are working and can’t pick them up right after school.

And both parents are working not because the father doesn’t make enough money to support his family but because he is taxed at such a high rate that the mother has to work and provide an income just to supplement his tax obligation.

Did you know that you pay more than half you income in taxes? Your taxes have gone down under George W. Bush? Well social security tax is up, Medicare and Medicaid taxes are up. I bet you did not even know that you are only paying half of those taxes, your employer has to pay the other half. Then your employer passes this increased cost on to whoever buys its products and so we have a hidden tax. Not to mention property taxes are up, gasoline taxes are up, car registration (read tax) costs are up and I could go on and on but I’ve made my point.

The way I figure it, since more than half of what I make goes to fund one form of government or another (national, state and local) I am a slave to government. Article XIII of the Constitution prohibits slavery. “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” Since I’ve committed no crime, I have no obligation to be enslaved and therefore I should elect not to pay any more taxes to gain my freedom. Yeah right.

So when I see a couple of candidates arguing about how to best spend taxes I’m not interested. They don’t have the authority to spend one dime of tax dollars, that’s Congress’ job. I’m already spending too much on taxes period. I cringe when I hear candidates talking about his favorite government program to fix this or that problem. Neither one of these candidate’s are on the same wavelength with me (and most conservatives) when it comes to the governments role in taxation and how that money should be spent. That’s why a good book sounded so much better than anything those two candidates had to say last night.

No comments: