Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Fishing in Southern Arizona

As a kid growing up in Michigan if I wanted to fish, I stepped into our backyard walked out on our dock and started fishing. Two minutes tops to grab a pole, find a spot and cast a line. In Tucson it’s an all day trip. It takes me all day to do what I used to do all day long.

First you gotta load up the car. Poles, tackle box, snacks, drinks and sometimes the boat or canoe added to the top of the car. Drive for two hours (minimum in Tucson) and find your fishing hole.

I had a day off last week! I pulled my son out of school for the day. We spent $67 on licenses (my 15 year old has to have a license in Arizona to fish) and another $30 bucks on tackle another $20 bucks on road food. We drove to Nogales, AZ about 5 miles from the U.S. border. They stock the little lake there with trout this time of year. My little brother calls them “cock” size trout.

We were the only ones there for quite a while. The water level was way down and fishing from shore was just about impossible because of all the weeds. We could not cast out far enough to avoid the weeds. We could see great schools of trout swimming about but were unable to catch many. If we had only brought our boat I thought.

Others showed up in boats and were catching them left and right. It was frustrating standing on shore watching them catching them all. We’ll be back with our canoe next time!

I’ve published some photos.

No comments: