Saturday, October 08, 2005

High School Marching Bands

I attended my son Michael’s football game last night. 5A schools beat Sabino badly, the last two weeks. They won easily last night over Marana High School and are now 4-2. Not bad.

The other school’s marching band played before the game. They played good old AMERICAN marching band songs like God Bless America. They weren’t that great in the tune department and their uniforms looked a little worn but it was nice to see a school doing it “old school.”

Sabino’s marching band played at half time as they always do.  They have nice new shiny uniforms and there are a lot of kids in that band, it is huge.  Their parental following in the stands is huge as well.  They work hard and it shows; their “number” is polished.  But they play a montage of  Freddie Mercury & Queen songs and it just does not fit what you would expect a high school marching band to be playing at a high school football game. If they played Queen’s “We are the Champions or “Another one bits the Dust” I’d say that’s fine. But they play stuff they say is Queen and I don’t recognize a lot of it. They feature a trumpet player, during one part, soloing a part from “Bohemian’s Rhapsody”. You know the lyrics:
Mama, just killed a man,Put a gun against his head,Pulled my trigger, now he’s dead,Mama, life had just begun,But now I’ve gone and thrown it all away”

They are featuring the part of the song about killing someone. Am I the only one who finds this sick and twisted?

Before you start whining to me, I know they work hard and I know you parents are proud of your kids. I am just questioning the choice of music. Save the Freddie Mercury (dead of AIDS before age 40) praise for the kooks on the coast. Give me some Good Old fashioned marching music about God, America and Apple Pie like the other school (Marana High School) gave me.

No comments: