Tuesday, September 28, 2004

You could've made $

If you'd taken my picks posted on Sunday morning you could've made money. Perhaps I'll start one of those pick lines, you know the kind, you pay to get my betting tips for the week.

I'm not much of a gambler myself, I do bet on on sporting events, especially the NFL and some college football. I may bet $50 to $100 a week during the NFL season, that's all I can afford to lose.

I never understood this whole industry catering to "gambling addiction." I had an acquaintance who went away for ten days for "the cure" of his gambling addiction. It cost him a bunch of money. There were many others there who also paid a lot of money for this "cure."

Now let's say there really is such a thing as an addiction to gambling. Now let's also say that there is someone who is "addicted" but they win more often than they lose while gambling. Do they still have an addiction? Well, the "addicted gambler" who's winning is not going for the "cure", it's only the ones who've lost money who go for the "cure." Isn't it a better term to call it a "losers addiction" rather than a "gambling addiction?"

Well that's one man's opinion.

I have a problem with this whole "addiction thing" anyway. It seems a lot of people in this society are "addicted" to one thing or another. We now have addictions for food, attention, gambling and even SEX! Anything considered a vice or anything that feels good has the potential to be addictive in what has become a society of weaklings. Think you are not a weakling? Pick a day this week and don't drink coffee, no sugar, no alcohol, no tobacco or whatever you've been meaning to quit. Do it for one day. Try it and then ask yourself are you addicted or just weak?

Tommy Lasorda said it best, "I took a pack of cigarettes from my pocket, stared at it and said, “Who’s stronger, you or me?” The answer was me. I stopped smoking. Then I took a vodka martini and said to it, “Who’s stronger, you or me?” Again the answer was me. I quit drinking. Then I went on a diet. I looked at a big plate of linguine with clam sauce and said, “Who’s stronger, you or me?” And a little clam looked up at me and answered, “I am.” I can’t beat linguine.

It's all up to you.

No comments: